Iconic action anime Yu Yu Hakusho is set for another major comeback after the 2018 release of the 25th anniversary Blu-Ray compilation that included two new episodes. But it’s not a new anime episode or a manga chapter. Rather, this hit series by Yoshihiro Togashi will come to life as a stage play.
Announced today, the Yu Yu Hakusho stage play is slated for a limited August-September 2019 run:
- Senju Mildix, Tokyo : August 28-September 2
- Morinomiya Piloti Hall, Osaka : September 4-8
- Momochi Palace, Fukuoka : September 10-12
- Ichinomiya Community Hall, Aichi : September 20-22
The cast, composed of veteran stage play actors, have also been announced:
(from left to right)
- Urameshi Yusuke played by Sakiyama Tsubasa (Ishikirimaru in Touken Ranbu Trial Performance Musical)
- Kuwabara Kazuma played by Gomoto Naoya (Hisagi Shuhei in Rock Musical Bleach, Kaidoh Kaoru in The Prince of Tennis Musical)
- Kurama played by Hiroki Suzuki (Munechika Mikazuki in Touken Ranbu stage play series)
- Hiei played by Hashimoto Shohei (Nishinoya Yuu in Hyper Project Engeki Haikyuu!!, Setsuna F. Seiei in Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Stage Play)
Supporting characters include:
- Koenma played by Hirofumi Araki (Leo in Juuken Sentai Gekiranger, Sadaharu Inui in The Prince of Tennis live action film)
- Yukimura Keiko played by Mirai
- Botan played by Hirata Yuka
- Genkai played by Elizabeth Marry
- Goki played by Nitta Kenta
- Urameshi Atsuko played by Kadoshima Mio
Ticket pre-selling will begin on May 11, and will set you back JPY 8,500.00 for general admission, and JPY 10,500 for a ticket and goods package.
Yu Yu Hakusho was serialized in Weekly Shounen Jump, running from December 1990-July 1994. The anime adaptaiton by Studio Pierrot ran for 112 episodes from October 1992-December 1994. A 30-minute movie was released on July 1993, and a 95-minute feature length animated film followed suit on April 1994.