During Sega Fes 2019 held in Tokyo, Sega has announced a new Sakura Wars game. This announcement comes after the last iteration of the franchise came out nearly 11 years ago.
The new Sakura Wars game, tentatively titled Shin Sakura Taisen (New Sakura Wars), and will be set in the Year 29 of the Taisho Era, and will be 12 years after the events of the last numbered Sakura Wars, Sakura Wars V: So Long, My Love. The new Sakura Wars game will tell the story of Kamiyama Seijuurou, a young naval captain tasked to rebuild the Imperial Combat Revue.
The cast includes:
- Sakura Ayane as Amamiya Sakura, the 17-year old female lead protagonist as part of the Imperial Assault Forces’ Flower Division
- Azakami Yohei as Kamiyama Seijuurou
- Uchida Maaya as Shinonome Hatsuho, also part of the Imperial Assault Forces’ Flower Division
- Hayami Saori as Clarissa Snowflake, a 16-year-old member of the Flower Division hailing from Luxembourg who loves books
- Yamamura Hibiku as Mochizuki Azami, the Flower Division’s resident master shinobi and martial arts expert
- Fukuhara Ayaka as Anastasia Palma, the big sister 19-year-old member of the Flower Division born in Greece
The new Sakura Wars game is said to be mixing elements of role-playing through personal and professional interactions with different NPCs in the Ginza area. Mecha fights will also be a gameplay highlight of the game, featuring the Flower Division’s spiricle armors.
New Sakura Wars is set for a 2020 release, simultaneously for the international and Japanese versions.
The last numbered Sakura Wars V was released for the Playstation 2 on 2005, with a spin-off Dramatic Dungeon: Sakura Taisen for the Nintendo DS on 2008.