The popular “sword personification training game” Touken Ranbu got the greenlight for its first live-action film set for 2019.
Five actors from the stage play are reprising their roles for the film, namely:
- Hiroki Suzuki as Mikazuki Munechika
- Yoshihiro Aramaki as Yamanbagiri Kunihiro
- Ryou Kitamura as Yagen Toushirou
- Masanari Wada as Heshikiri Hasebe
- Taizou Shiina as Fudou Yukimitsu
Other confirmed actors include:
- Hiroaki Iwanaga as Nihongou
- Fuuma Sadamoto as Honebami Toushirou
- Tomoki Hirose as Uguisu Maru
Yasuko Kobayashi, who penned Attack on Titan and Kakegurui anime series, will handle the scriptwriting. Saiji Yakumo, from the live-action MARS, will be at the directorial helm. TOHO will be handling distribution.
Touken Ranbu began as a popular game anthromorphizing legendary weapons into bishounen characters, garnering a huge female fanbase. It spawned a massive set of merchandise, several manga volumes, and five sold-out stage play/musicals. It also spawned two separate anime series: Touken Ranbu Hanamaru and ufotable’s Katsugeki! Touken Ranbu!